While we wait patiently for the upcoming Galaxy S8, we can’t wait to see what their flagship digital assistant rumored to be called “Bixby” or “Bix” is capable of. A trademark application filed with the European Trade Mark and Design Network from Samsung for a “B” logo that could be the icon for the Bixby AI was uncovered by Neowin. Samsung filed a trademark application on Feb 5 with the European Trade Mark and Design Network for Bixby’s logo, you can see it for yourself in the document (with application number 016343931) below.
The Galaxy S8 is expected to be released toward the end of March 2017, I guess that’s when we’ll get to know more about “Bixby” or “Bix”. See below for what’s been rumored — so far about the “Bixby” or “Bix” digital assistant:
- If we are to believe recent trademarks filings, the assistant’s name will be Bixby (or perhaps just “Bix”). The may a male and female variants of the assistant because the name “Kestra” has also been registered by the company.
- The tech powering Bixby will come from Viv Labs, a startup founded by the creators of Siri that Samsung bought last year
- The S8 might have a dedicated button for launching the assistant
- As per Samsung execs, the assistant will integrate with third-party services, but will also reportedly be able to control “almost all” native apps preinstalled on the S8
- Bixby can use the Galaxy S8′s camera for visual search, text recognition
- Bixby is also rumored to be able to process payments
- The software will support seven or eight languages
- Bixby is also slated to show up in other Samsung devices, like home appliances and wearables